Welcome to our fourth transition update with less than a week to go to Toastmasters Year end. Lots of news, lots of tips for all our leaders in UK South.
Finishing off this Toastmasters Year in Style
Toastmasters Superdemo Meeting – Speakers Corner – Sunday 26th June 11am!
Come along and celebrate the end of what has been a fantastic Toastmasters year at Speakers Corner in Hyde Park this Sunday. Join in a demonstration of what Toastmasters is all about and bring along people who might love Toastmasters too. We will also be seeing if there are people who would be up for being part of a Sunday London club. And having a picnic!
We will have lots of people there, including our current District Director Jean Gamester, our next District Director Vanessa King and our immediate past District Governor Hilary Briggs. No need to book but do let us know you are coming on Eventbrite.
Clapham Connectors Demo Meeting – Monday 27th June – 19:15!
Clapham Connectors have their second demo meeting this Monday evening and they are going to be a fantastic club! They would love to get enough members to charter this week – not only would that be a success for the club, but the Area (35) and Division (K) would be President’s Distinguished too. Do you know people who would love to be part of a club in Clapham? Would you like to join in and help out? Find out more here.
Calling all Treasurers – Processing Member Payments this week
We are so close to being a President’s Distinguished District and ending the year as one of the top performing districts in the world. We need your help to get over the line with the last 100 membership payments. If you have members who have joined your club this month (or could do) but you haven’t processed their payment yet with TI, please, please do it. We know that sometimes people hold it back until after the next month / year has started but we would ask you to please register them this week, with a start date of 1st June. Not only will it help us all celebrate an amazing achievement together, it reflects the truth that they did join during this year.
Amazing Successes so far
- 4+ Educational Awards achieved this year by Marc Lottig, Meg Heyworth, Shola Kaye, Alan McMahon, Karen Newton, David Salamons and Colin Simmons!
- Well done to Barings Speakers – brand new club this year, and this week achieved “Beat the Clock” – 5+ new, reinstated or transferred members between in May and June! Also well done to Croydon Communicators who also beat the clock – see them with the full 13 achieving clubs on our Hall of Fame here.
- Welcome back to good standing (8+ members) for Kent Speakers and The Toast Rack – now every single one of our clubs are in good standing!
- Welcome back to 20+ to Oxford Orators, Woodford Green and PMI UK – with 97% of our clubs with 20+ members we currently have the highest 20+ rate in the world!
- According to the dashboard, we have 5 clubs who are really close to having 20+ members – Ferndown, Voice of Wales, Russian English, Clerkenwell and Bank (formerly NZICA). Do you know people who would love to be members of those clubs? Please put them in touch this week so they can be part of these vibrant clubs and help them get to 20+…
…and these are just a few examples. All over the district, people are achieveing amazing things. It shows in how the district is doing, because so far;
- We have 10% club growth (last year 8.5% at this stage). Ranked 4th in the world
- We have 80% distinguished clubs (last year 77.9% at this stage). Ranked 2nd in the world
- 4 out of 5 of our divisions are President’s Distinguished (last year 3 were)
We have less than a week to go. Can you help us all raise our game a little higher this week? You can keep track of how we are doing together on the Toastmasters International dashboard.
Getting Ready for Next Year
Handover and Celebration Events
What is your club doing to celebrate and mark the transition between the two years?
- Club Celebration – here is one example…. Jean’s club, Thame Speakers, have a handover meeting at her place this Wednesday for the incoming and outgoing teams to catch up, celebrate a great year and plan for next year.
- Area Celebration example – Area 33 have an event at St Paul’s Speakers on on 30 June 30 2016, to celebrate the successes of the Area 33 clubs and members in the 2015/16 Toastmasters Year. Find out more here.
- District Celebration example – As well as the Superdemo mentioned above, the incoming and outcoming area and division directors and assistants have a great big party in London on the 31st of July to celebrate and come up with ingenious ways to make 2016 17 even more successful than this year. At that session we will also recognise the Area Director of the Year and Division Director of the Year
There is one more job to be done before we start off the next year. That is to celebrate the people who have achieved great things this year. It would be brilliant if each club, area and division had awards and recognition for people who have done us proud.
When it comes to district recognition, the closing date for nominations is almost here. The final date is this Thursday the 30th. Have you put in your nominations yet?
We would like to thank you all for all the brilliant work you have been doing for our members this year. It is your efforts that makes Toastmasters the best way to develop speaking and leadership skills, and have fun doing it.
Grow and be strong!
Jean and Vanessa
Jean Gamester and Vanessa King
Your Outgoing and Incoming District Directors
District 91, UK South