Its a busy time for Andy O’Sullivan. As District 91’s Chief Judge, Andy is spending his time travelling to division contests and preparing his judges for the Spring Conference on 5-6 May. As well as finding Andy on our Contest & Judging page, you will also find him in the Hall of Fame as last year’s Toastmaster of the Year.
Tell me a little about your background and home life.
Born and raised in Sidcup, Kent, I spent most of my career working in banking. As someone who struggled with the confidence to speak up in meetings or give presentations, I knew that I’d have to develop my public speaking skills … one day!
Where do you live and which club(s) are you a member of?
Living close to the Elephant & Castle, I’m President of London Toastmasters, a recently Chartered club at London Bridge. This is a club I started last November, due to the massive demand for membership at my other clubs, London Public Speakers and Central London Toastmasters.
Toastmasters International CEO, Dan Rex, is flying over to visit District 91. He will be visiting a number of our clubs to present his inspirational speeches before presenting his keynote address and workshop at the Spring Conference.
Dan has worked for Toastmasters for 27 years. As Chief Executive Officer, he leads the Toastmasters World Headquarters team in providing service, resources and support to 352,000 members in 16,400 clubs in 141 countries. He works closely with the International President and the Board of Directors to develop the future of Toastmasters and create and execute plans and strategies to reach those goals.
At Toastmasters District 91 we are excited to report on the amazing work being accomplished by our many member clubs. With a special business breakfast event, we will strive to provide useful information that drives growth, business development, and share developments that are changing our world. One such world-changing development is the continued evolution and implementation of artificial intelligence and new technologies.
There is now a dedicated website, with additional information about the conference, posted by the conference team, check out the new website.
- The conference programme has been published. The full list of workshops over the two days, along with contest and other information, is now available here. There may be some final tweaks on the timing of events over the weekend, we’ll update the conference programme here when we do.
- There are a handful (at the time of writing this newsletter) of full weekend including gala dinner tickets left at the early bird rate of £150. Once they have gone the rate raises to £170. Be quick to book here.
- Gala Dinner – if you are unable to attend during the day but planning to join us for dinner on the Saturday evening, there are limited gala dinner tickets left, book now here.
- Social Media – follow us, like and share our posts! All updates and useful information about the conference, is regularly posted on the Toastmasters D91 Spring Conference Facebook page and Twitter on @D91SpringConf18.
Time is running out for nominations for the prestigious PR & Comms Awards. The deadline of 20th April is set for Division and are Directors to nominate a member and/or club for:
- Best social media or membership campaign,
- Best local press campaign or external PR initiative and
- Best Toastmasters blog or most unusual campaign.
Email Nigel our D91 PR manager: the person/club name, the award you are nominating them for and why they should receive that ward.
Nominations and winners will be announced at the Spring Conference.