The District 91 one-day Conference will take place 08.30-17.30 on Saturday 4th November at the Hilton Gatwick, South Terminal Gatwick Airport RH6 0LL, and will be followed by an evening dinner.
The theme is “Let your speaking fly”, where we will welcome our Key Note speaker, Aletta Rochat, a World Class Speaking coach, author of the “The Wedding Speaker’s Guide” and a public speaking trainer.
The fantastic event includes:
- Keynote Speech by Aletta Rochat, DTM & Regional Advisor for Toastmasters in Region 11
- Communications and Leadership Workshops
- Council Meeting
- UK South Humourous Speech & Table Topics contest
- Gatwick Gala Dinner (dress code: black tie)
The district Humorous Speech Contest and Table Topics Contest finals will also take place (see below), finishing with a Celebration Event.
Conference Packages (conference prices only – hotel not included)
Book your earlybird rate before 30 October.
Before 30 October:
- Daytime Ticket £59.00 (+ booking fee) – ticket includes: workshops, keynote, lunch, contests,
- Full Ticket £109.00 (+ booking fee) – ticket includes celebratory dinner and the daytime conference ticket.
After 30 October:
- Daytime Ticket £69.00 (+ booking fee) – ticket includes: workshops, keynote, lunch, contests,
- Full Ticket £119.00 (+ booking fee) – ticket includes celebratory dinner and the daytime conference ticket.
Parking is £15 (+ booking fee)
Book your conference tickets here.
District officers, please not the District Executive Committee (DEC) Meeting will take place on the Friday evening, and attendance is free of charge.
If staying the night at the Gatwick Hilton, you must book directly with the hotel via their events website. If you would like accommodation, The Hilton has made the following arrangements available to Toastmasters:
- Double/twin guest room – £79.00 bed and breakfast single or £89.00 bed and breakfast double occupancy,
- Double/twin deluxe room – £94.00 bed and breakfast single or £104.00 bed and breakfast double occupancy.
Book your accommodation here.
|08:00||Registration, Refreshments, Credentials Desk|
|09:00||Conference Opening Ceremony|
|09:15||Keynote: Aletta Rochat, DTM & Regional Advisor for Toastmasters in Region 11, ‘Speaking as a Leader’ (Ascot Suite)|
|10:15||Workshop 1: Vanessa King, ‘Harness the Power of Mentoring’ (Ascot Suite)|
|10:15||Workshop 2: Andy Hammond, ‘Preparing for Pathways’ (Goodwood Suite)|
|11:00||Refreshments, Contestants Briefing (Ascot Suite) and Judges Briefing (Goodwood Suite)|
|11:15||Humorous Speech Contest Final (Ascot Suite)|
|13:00||Lunch (Garden Restaurant)|
|14:00||Council Meeting. Voting Members are Club Presidents, VPEs and their proxies, Area & Division Directors, DLT. Other members are welcome as observers. (Ascot Suite)|
|14:15||Yoga Session 1 Max 20 participants (Goodwood Suite)|
|15:15||Yoga Session 2 Max 20 participants (Goodwood Suite)|
|16:00||Refreshments, Contestants Briefing (Ascot Suite) and Judges Briefing (Goodwood Suite)|
|16:30||Table Topics Contest Final (Ascot Suite) – Contestants waiting area (Goodwood Suite)|
|17.15||Hall of Fame, with Pedro Casillas (Ascot Suite)|
|17:45||Contest Results and closing ceremony|
|19.30||Reception followed by Dinner/Dancing (Ascot Suite)|
|21.30||After Dinner Speech: Simon Bucknall, Runner-Up World Championship of Public Speaking|
Please note the Conference Program may be subject to change due to circumstances beyond the control of the organisers.
Humorous Speech Contest and Table Topics Contest
The District 91 Humorous Speech Contest and Table Topics Contest will take place on Saturday 4 November 2017 at the Hilton in Gatwick. This will be preceded by Area contests in September and Division contests in October; to qualify first enter your club contest.
For the Humorous Speech Contest the contestants present a 5 to 7 minute humorous speech that must be thematic in nature (with an opening, body and close) and not a monologue i.e. series of one-liners.
For the Table Topics Contest the contestants present a 1 to 2 minute impromptu speech. All contestants are assigned the same topic, which is told to them when they are introduced by the contest chair.