Meet A Toastmaster: Clare Crowther
Distinguished Toastmaster 2022
- What is your name, home club and path(s) you are working on?
The 2 paths for my Pathways DTM were Visionary Communication and Presentation Mastery. Now I am working on Motivational Strategies and Engaging Humour
- How do you feel about this achievement?
I felt amazingly proud when I was awarded the TI Accredited Speaker Award in Vancouver in 2017. As well as detailing the requisite professional speeches, it took a phenomenal amount of practice for that final speech in Canada to an audience of 1800 people! It was a pass/fail so when it was revealed that I’d succeeded I was SO relieved.
My Pathways DTM evoked a sense of achievement at having completed all 7 requirements. It took time and effort but was overall pleasurable.
- What is the secret to becoming a Distinguished Toastmaster?
A great deal of thanks is due to my home club, Armada Speakers with my mentor Rory McGill (the longest standing member of Armada Speakers). The Armada Speakers mentors overall were a wonderful team working on my DTM project i.e. easily accessible mentoring resources.(ref oct21 Toastmasters magazine article).
Also thanks to other clubs where I have visited and given speeches.
- Why would you recommend this to someone?
Enjoy what the journey brings to you!
- What is your next challenge?
Hmm, good question.
I am mentoring 3 aspiring Accredited Speakers so I am looking forward to being the first of many ASs in the UK!
Additional information about Clare’s achievement
- 1st ever Armada Speakers DTM.
- Armada Speakers chartered 15 October 2008
- As part of her DTM, Clare was Club Coach for Armada Speakers when their membership went down to 2 members. Rory McGill was one of these two adn is still a member to this day.
- As part of her DTM, Clare ran a Speechcraft programme for Plymouth University students.
- Clare’s Paths completed were Visionary Communication and Presentation Mastery.#
- Clare’s DTM Project was to provide useful resources for Armada’s marvellous mentors. Featured in the October 2021 “Toastmaster” magazine: Toastmasters International –
- Less than 1% (is this correct?) of members Achieve (Pathways?)DTM.
- DTM is awarded for a combination of projects, speeches and Leadership Roles. An ideal boost to most people’s CV!
Well done, Clare. It’s a massive achievement! We’re all very proud of you at District 91.
Last Updated on 28th July 2022 by Chris Arning