Who we are
District 91 is part of Toastmasters International, a non-profit educational organisation that teaches communication skills, public speaking and leadership skills through a worldwide network of clubs.
Headquartered in Englewood, Colorado, USA, Toastmasters has served over four million people, and today the membership exceeds 364,000 in more than 16,200 clubs in 145 countries.
Toastmasters was founded by Ralph C. Smedley on October 22, 1924, at the YMCA in Santa Ana, California, to improve the communication skills of the young men under his charge.
Since 1924, Toastmasters International has helped people from diverse backgrounds become more confident speakers, communicators, and leaders.
- We provide our members with the opportunity to
- Improve your public speaking skills
- Build leadership skills
- Maximise your potential
- Enjoy unlimited personal growth
- Work on networking in a small and supportive environment
- Practice writing speeches and presenting in a group setting
- Gain a competitive advantage in the workplace
- Build self-confidence and self-awareness
As a member of Toastmasters International and my club, I promise
- To attend club meetings regularly
- New Member ExperienceTo prepare all of my projects to the best of my ability, basing them on the Toastmasters education program
- To prepare for and fulfil meeting assignments
- To provide fellow members with helpful, constructive evaluations
- To help the club maintain the positive, friendly environment necessary for all members to learn and grow
- To serve my club as an officer when called upon to do so
- To treat my fellow club members and our guests with respect and courtesy
- To bring guests to club meetings so they can see the benefits Toastmasters membership offers
- To adhere to the guidelines and rules for all Toastmasters education and recognition programs
- To act within Toastmasters’ core values of integrity, respect, service and excellence during the conduct of all Toastmasters activities
These are values worthy of a great organization, and we believe we should incorporate them as anchor points in every decision we make.