The renewals window is open. As some clubs experienced delays in their renewals, I encourage you to submit them early. As further incentivisation, there will be an early payment award of £50 for the first 30 clubs that submit their renewals with a minimum of 20 members by the end of February.
If you have already submitted your membership renewals, thank you for investing in your personal growth. If you haven’t already done so, it isn’t too late!
Talk Up Toastmasters
February 1 – March 31 2023
The Talk Up Toastmasters membership programme gives members the chance to invite guests to a special meeting where prospective members can learn about Toastmasters’ many benefits. Add 5 new, dual or reinstated members with a join date between February 1 and March 31, and you’ll receive a special Talk Up Toastmasters ribbon to display on your club’s banner.
Special events might include members bringing a friend, inviting former members, hosting an ‘Open House’ meeting, or speechcraft workshop.
A guide to all incentives is here: https://d91toastmasters.org.uk/members/resources/incentives/
Open House Meetings
An Open House Meeting is a fun meeting to publicise Toastmasters to members of the public, friends, family or work colleagues. They are very similar to a normal club meeting, but feel more like a demonstration of the benefits of Toastmasters while providing a taste of what a regular meeting is like. Some roles will be carried out a little differently, and the agenda will be planned to give guests the opportunity to actively participate. Organising an open-house meeting can be done either by the club’s committee or an ad-hoc organising team – perhaps you have a member that would like to complete a Pathway Project, for example.
The key to a great Open House meeting is teamwork, and getting all club members on board to ensure it is a success. As a great example of an Open House recently, please see the write up of the City of London event on 17th January in the link below
Debbie’s Top Tips
- Do you remember your first Toastmasters meeting and why you joined? Share your testimony with your club members and guests. Do this at regular club meetings in addition to special events. You might inspire someone to achieve something that they never thought was possible, including potential future leaders!
- Do you inform guests and new members about all the exciting training opportunities available to them? Did you know that new and existing members can attend club officer training and other District webinars? Please share, so everyone can benefit.
- When was the last time that you invited an external Toastmaster to your club as a General Evaluator? Sometimes we can get too comfortable in our clubs, and it’s always helpful to see how we’re doing by bringing in fresh eyes. We grow from evaluations, and external evaluators provide an opportunity to learn about what your club is doing well and receive suggestions on how you might improve
Here’s a reminder of the Toastmasters’ Promises
As a member of Toastmasters International and my club, I promise
- To attend club meetings regularly
- To prepare all of my projects to the best of my ability, basing them on the Toastmasters education program
- To prepare for and fulfil meeting assignments
- To provide fellow members with helpful, constructive evaluations
- To help the club maintain the positive, friendly environment necessary for all members to learn and grow
- To serve my club as an officer when called upon to do so
- To treat my fellow club members and our guests with respect and courtesy
- To bring guests to club meetings so they can see the benefits Toastmasters membership offers
- To adhere to the guidelines and rules for all Toastmasters education and recognition programs
- To act within Toastmasters’ core values of integrity, respect, service and excellence during the conduct of all Toastmasters’ activities
And if you want a refresher on how to integrate the Promises into your Toastmasters life, then join us on Friday 17th February for a LinkedIn Live event all about the promises brought to you by D91 Toastmasters.
You can sign up here: https://www.linkedin.com/video/event/urn:li:ugcPost:7028417454993219584/
Club Growth Director, 2022-2023