Why do we align?
Very simply, it is because it is a requirement of Toastmasters International
- Review and amend its alignment of Clubs, Areas and Divisions once each year.
- Form an Alignment Committee to consider a plan that services the Clubs in the most effective way possible.
- Meet the requirements outlined in Policy and Protocol 7.0 District Structure, 1. Club Assignments, in the Governing Documents.
- The Committee must consider club growth as well as club loss when contemplating an alignment
- Alignment proposals are subject to the approval of the District Council at its annual business meeting in April/May and must be reported to Toastmasters International by July 15t
The Protocol clearly states that:
- Areas must consist of four (4) to six (6) clubs
- No Area to have more than six (6) clubs on July 1st
- A Division must have a minimum of three (3) Areas
To comply with these requirements the District Alignment Committee (DAC) is formed each year to ensure that D91 complies with these instructions from Toastmasters International.
The District Alignment Committee for the 2022-23 Toastmasters year will be comprised of:
- Barbara Saph (Chair)
- Debbie Williams (Club Growth Director)
- D91 Division Directors or their designated representatives
- Consultant: Monika Swiderska, (data scientist and mapping expert)
The DAC gathers information on new clubs and failing clubs from Toastmasters International and in consultation determines the best solution for the movement of clubs between areas to comply with the Protocol.
In the 2021-22 Toastmasters year D91 experienced only minimal club growth and significant club loss, the DAC therefore recommended some changes to the alignment of some clubs within areas and the consolidation of areas within Divisions that had experienced club loss. An additional area was added to one Division that had some club growth to allow for future potential growth.
D91 has 8 Divisions with a good distribution of clubs within Areas to facilitate better management for Area Directors.
District 91 Alignment Committee reports are available: