Do you remember receiving invitations to birthday parties when you were younger or a ‘save the date’ card through the post for a wedding or other function? Do you remember how that made you feel? In an age where everything is digital, it’s hard for us to cut through the noise. Perhaps this is even more so, as clubs are operations have moved online. To that end, personalisation may be that much more important.
Reflecting on some invitations this month:
- I’d been invited to serve as General Evaluator at a club other than my own – which I’d accepted. A role that continues to be a privilege and an honour to undertake
- As a District, we’d been invited to participate in a marketing festival. We accepted this and ran a demo session for their audience – another way to promote Toastmasters to an external audience
- We concluded our first virtual Speechcraft in the District – in the final session, it is customary to invite participants to join Toastmasters if they would like to continue their learning journey
There are many reasons to extend an invitation and most would graciously accept. Sadly, I’ve also had to turn down a few invitations to attend contests in the last few weeks. However, on the subject of contests, let’s check in on David and Carmen. Both actually had a go at competing in their club contests because the Contest Chair invited them to do so! David went on to win Table Topics!
This month, I’d like to introduce a returning member. Rob was a member of a community club and served on its committee about 5 years ago. He then went on to serve on the committee at his workplace club for a year or two and then had a break due to other commitments. He’s recently rejoined and getting back into the swing of things.
Whether it be responding to a guest enquiry, asking for someone to help with a project or an event at your club, or asking a guest if they’d like to return or join your club – most of us take the next step when invited to do so. Who will you next extend an invitation to?
- Find out more about our ‘Pathways to Smedley’ incentive
- Congratulations to all the winners of the 80/20 and Smedley challenges
- Forthcoming Club Growth related webinar – Closing the Sale
District 91 Club Growth Director 2020-2021